There is a corresponding average cost of residential HVAC system assigned from the initial installation to maintenance and repair and one should be aware on the costs and details involved in the project before proceeding.
Table of Contents
The following are the considerations for residential HVAC costs:
HVAC Unit pricing
- Every homeowner has many brands of HVACs to choose from depending on their preferences whether cost, quality of output, energy efficiency and the likes. Some of the most popular once include:
- The Amana’s Premium AGP15 Gas/Electric Package is one of the most in demand products for all climates which uses gas for heating and electricity for cooling.
- The American Standard’s Gold line continues to be the best selling HVAC products in the US. With its cost efficient features through the sturdy steel construction frame and protection plus with an adjusting speed fan.
- Bryant offers a high quality, economical model with their world renowned evolution line.
- Carrier’s Comfort series includes options such as blower-enhanced dehumidification.
- The Lennox Elite Series 13GCSX maintains efficiency in almost all types of climates wherein it is able to handle enhanced filtration with an internally mounted filter rack.
- Products of Trane are built for aesthetics as well as performance through a cabinet designed to fit with almost any architectural style.
- Amana – ranging from $3,900 to $4,800
- American Standard – ranging from $3,900 to $4,800
- Bryant – ranging from $3,900 to $4,900
- Carrier – ranging from $3,400 to $4,600
- Lennox – ranging from $3,600 to $4,500
- Trane – ranging from $2,300 to $3,400
One should consider what kind of heating and cooling system they would want to install hvac system cost per square foot. The cost will vary depending on the residential hvac design, quality, style and machine size.
If on a tight budget, a homeowner can go smaller but need upgrading over time. There are other alternative methods or technologies like the ones for heating.
Some examples include Geothermal heating and cooling considered as an eco-friendly heating and cooling option making use of Earth’s energy and crust to pull heat out into a home; attic fans used for getting the humidity out and cutting down moisture above the ceiling; electronic baseboard heaters which are affordable alternative to a whole-house heater if one doesn’t want to install ducts and vents.
It is not enough to install the greatest HVAC system one could have but also would need to consider the insulation system or else, a homeowner would end up getting more cost.
Some older homes may have fiberglass insulation but has been broken down by residential pests, moisture or even improper installation. Spray foam insulation may have been damaged by careless repair or modification works.
Without a HVAC cost estimator in place, the Department of Energy provided different forms of insulation suitable for varying areas:
- Blanket: Batt and Roll – This is the most common type of insulation made of fiberglass with some forms made of wool, plastics or minerals.
- Concrete blocks – These are concrete blocks which have polystyrene incorporated in them to insulate the material.
- Form board – This is most commonly used for unfinished interior walls but must be covered with gypsum board to meet fire safety codes.
- Rigid fibrous installation – This is a fiberglass insulation that has been set up into a specific shape to fit ducting and withstand high heat.
HVAC Labor Cost Factors
- Residential hvac sizing, placement and parts like vents and ducts
- Installation – Installing a HVAC system involves determining whether the unit is going to be roof mounted or a split system. Roof mounted systems have the heating and cooling systems in one cabinet which are typically cost less than a comparable split unit but are often harder to install. This entails securing a proper location on the roof which can support the weight of the unit. The Split HVAC system are generally more efficient because the heat exchanger can be places in a shadier or cooler location instead of on the roof with direct sunlight but would have a more complex installation.
- Type of materials to be used
- Indoor air quality desired
- Size of the home
- Factors involved with labor pricing includes
- A HVAC contractor can definitely provide free quotes if one has a specific job in mind and details the outline of the work including:
- The ductwork in every house is one of the main sources of loss of efficiency in the HVAC unit. It is important for the HVAC experts to map out ducts to ensure that the air circulates efficiently throughout the house, vents to send out air correctly and floor vents so that they are not going to be blocked by furniture or other objects.
- There is a corresponding cost to install hvac system with ductwork and will have to be inspected on a timely manner. Proper ducting loses around 2%-5% of the energy whereas old leaking ducts can lose 50% or more.
- The placement of the thermostat involves proper wiring to ensure that the sensors can get accurate reading of the temperature. Whether a dial type or small box with lever thermostat or programmable ones, these can surely work best with the installed hvac system. This will surely be more economical than the average cost of hvac system replacement.